Tuesday, January 11, 2011

My Wedding - The Grace Kelly Inspired Juliet Cap Headband


I think I can never have enough of vintage inspired items. I forgot how this "Juliet cap" keyword popped up and when I Googled it, the picture of the forever Grace Kelly, in her wedding dress, appeared again in the search results.


It was only then I knew the headpiece she had was called a "Juliet cap." And if you are also meeting this name the first time, Juliet is quite obviously referring to the Juliet in Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliet, a hair accessory popular in the Renaissance days. It was described by  Every Woman's Encyclopaedia (London, 1910) as "somewhat expensive", because of the use of laces, pearls and other jewels. 

I lack the knowledge and knowhow to do a cap and therefore I just created something that looked like a Juliet cap, on a headband, for my wedding. This headpiece is a little heavier than usual and somehow I think resting on a headband actually gives people more security to wear instead of wondering frequently "when it will fall from my head."

And as the Every Woman's Encyclopaedia described, I also used a lot of pearls, Czech crystals and laces to create this accessory. Many tear-shaped crystals were used, to signify the "joyful tears" a bride is expected to shed. In case you are also wondering if I had shed some, I am not afraid to admit that I bawled...many times. :~) Ah, those happy tears... Also, two little blue crystals were sewn, for the traditional notion of "something blue".

I love knowing that there are crystals here and there in my house which I bought a decade ago and finally proved themselves "useful", like the black floral crystal ornament was actually a button I found in a haberdashery shop!

On the day of my wedding, I discussed with my hair stylist and we decided that this would not be used with my wedding dress since my wedding veil was already "something quite extraordinary". I for sure did not want the veil to steal the spotlight of my Juliet cap, nor vice versa. We saved this when I slipped into a platinum gold gown, now looking back, that dress was actually quite Renaissance inspired too.

This piece is definitely something of a luxury. I have, however, wanted it also to be very affordable.

I hope so much you are going to love it! :-)





Grace Kelly inspired Juliet cap is now available on Etsy


No comments:

Post a Comment